Published: 8th April 2022
Time to Celebrate Maritime Milestones on the Maritime Mile
Get ready for a year of celebrations on the Maritime Mile as Maritime Belfast Trust, the charity responsible for preserving Belfast’s maritime and industrial heritage, launches Maritime Milestones a campaign encouraging everyone to enjoy Belfast’s iconic waterfront experience through a range of anniversaries, events, heritage and international days animating Belfast’s iconic waterfront throughout 2022.
There’s many ways to join in and celebrate Maritime Milestones:
- Celebrate anniversaries including Titanic Belfast’s 10th, Belfast Harbour’s 175th, St Joseph’s 150th and Lagan Search and Rescue’s 10th.
- Experience the best of local music talent with Sundays on the Maritime Mile. Look out for buskers, bands, opera, choirs popping up at different locations.
- Discover new additions launched in 2021 include SoundYard, an interactive play installation and RiverBox, an outdoor audiovisual experience.
- Explore the Maritime Mile with a range of tours and trails including Maritime Mile Treasure Trail. Download the map, explore, complete the quiz and enter an online competition for a chance to win a fantastic prize. Discover the six Glass of Thrones stained glass windows, each one depicting the most iconic moments from the Game of Thrones series.
- Hop on a Belfast Bike and explore the Maritime Mile. Docking stations are located at Odyssey, SS Nomadic, Titanic Walkway, Donegall Quay and Corporation Square. belfastbikes.co.uk/
- See the illumination of the Great Light and SoundYard to mark key international dates throughout 2022 including World Maritime Day, 29th
- Budding photographers can book a place on an interactive photo tour jam-packed with history and sights to see. Or visit a photographic exhibition celebrating The People that built Titanic as part of Titanic Belfast’s 10th
Maritime Milestones is funded & delivered by Maritime Belfast Trust with support from Belfast Harbour, Titanic Belfast, Titanic Quarter, Belfast City Council and destination partners.
Launching Maritime Milestone Kerrie Sweeney, Chief Executive of Maritime Belfast Trust, said:
“ Maritime Milestones is a year-long initiative that will support our key stakeholders celebrating their milestones in 2022. It will also support our destination partners to encourage all visitors to the City of Belfast to explore our iconic waterfront and enjoy the many unique experiences of this historic destination. We are also delighted to announce Sundays on the Maritime Mile. A range of local music talent across a range of genres will pop-up and animate the Maritime Mile from Easter onwards. We encourage and welcome everyone to explore and discover Belfast’s vibrant quayside, heritage and learn about the importance of preserving our rich heritage.”
For all details and further information visit www.maritime-mile.com.
To download a copy of the Maritime Milestones guide, click here